Last Updated on
UNESCO Job Recruitment & Application Process
Application form for UNESCO Job Recruitment is now out online for young graduate that are currently unemployed, see details about how to apply below.
In 1945, UNESCO was created in order to respond to the firm belief of nations, forged by two world wars in less than a generation, that political and economic agreements are not enough to build a lasting peace. Peace must be established on the basis of humanity’s moral and intellectual solidarity.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: National Professional Officer
Post Number: 6NGSC 1000RP
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Domain: Natural Sciences
Organizational Unit: Natural Sciences Sector
Type of contract: Fixed Term
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Overview of the Functions of the Post
- Under the authority and overall supervision of the Assistant Director General for Natural Sciences and under the direct supervision of the Director of the UNESCO Abuja Office, the National Professional Officer, acting as a team member in Africa for the Natural Science Sector, will contribute to the implementation and development of programmes, projects and initiatives under Major Programme II (Natural Sciences), in close collaboration with the Science Divisions at the Headquarters (Ecological and Earth Sciences, Water Sciences, Science Policy and Capacity Building) and colleagues at the national and regional offices in Africa and by carrying out analysis and research of current needs! practices! frameworks and trends, synthesizing findings, providing technical content and inputs, making recommendations for projects and activities and providing technical backstopping.
- The incumbent will participate and make substantive contributions in meetings organized by UNESCO and contribute substantially under the “Delivering as One’ approach of the UN in Abuja and to the country’s United Nations Sustainable Development Partnership Framework (UNSDPF). In particular, the incumbent will:
- Contributeto the implementation of projects and initiatives in the field of Ecological and Earth Sciences including Man and the Biosphere (MAB) Programme, Biosphere Reserves and natural disaster risk reduction within the context of the Post 2015 development Agenda and related SDGs, the New MAB Strategy (2015 -2025) and Action Plan (2016-2025) and the UN Post-2015 Frameworkfor Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR).
- Contribute to the development and implementation of water related projects and activities within the framework of International Hydrological Programme (IHP) and develop partnership with other water related programs,’projects of UN agencies in Nigeria and in the sub-Region, as well as those from national, regional and international organizations, NGO5 and donor institutions and to enhance the impact of IHP delivery at national level.
- Contribute to science policy and capacity building work coordinated by the Division of Science Policy and Capacity Building and Regional Coordinators of Africa in these fields, and promote science in sustainable development through working with national authorities for science related international years and international science days. Contribute to strengthen humanand institutional capacity in science technology engineering and mathematics (STEM) with a focuson girls and women and Education forSustainable Development (ESD).
- Analyze and evaluate projects and programmes implementation and prepare reports and proposals setting out plans for implementation of programme and projects developments.
- Mobilize extrabudgetary resources and develop partnerships to enhance MAB programme and Biosphere Reserve applications and DRR related work, IHP programme and Science Policy and Capacity building in Nigeria and in the region.
- Assist in the organization of UNESCO related meetings and workshops through providing technical and logistical support in cooperation with National Commissions, government and UN partners and institutions and maintain effective contact with National Commissions, MAB and IHP national committees, partners and donor institutions and related academic institutions and civil society organizations.
- A successful candidate will be required to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Results focus
- Planning and organizing
- Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement
- For detailed information please consult the UNESCO Compçtency Fi rn
- Advanced university Degree (Masters or equivalent), in the field of Ecological or Earth Sciences, Environmental or Water Resources or Basic Sciences.
- At least 2 years of relevant professional experience in the field of ecological or earth sciences, environmental or water resources, science policy and/or capacity building.
- Proven experience in fund-raising and resource mobilisation through negotiation with financial donors.
Skills and Competencies:
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to build, maintain and enhance working relations with national/local authorities as well as key stakeholders in the civil society, such as national and international NGO5 in the cluster countries and the region.
- Good analytical skills.
- Excellent organizational and coordination skills.
- Good IT skills,
- Excellent knowledge of English
- Experience workingwith government representatives and officials.
- Experience in related fields, particularly in Western Africa.
- Familiarity withthe political and scientificcontext of the region.
- Experience acquired at international level preferably in an International Organization and/or at a relevant research institution.
Skills and Competencies:
- Capacity to establish partnership and coordination with a range of partners.
- Knowledgeofthe functioning of International Organizations and /orthe UN system.
- Knowledge of other official UN languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish)
- An assessment exercise may be used in the evaluation of candidates.
Benefits and Entitlements
- Annual salary: 215,707.13 NGN (Gross)
- Salaries are paid in Naira at the UNESCO Abuja Office. Other benefits include: 30 days annual leave,family all ,ancP, pension plan and medical insurance. More details can befound an the ICSC Website.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Application Letter and CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: UNESCO is a no-smoking Organization.