Last Updated on
United Nations Development Programme Job Recruitment & Application Process
Application form for United Nations Development Programme Job Recruitment is now out online for young graduate that are currently unemployed, see details about how to apply below.
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women.
We invite applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communications Analyst
Job ID: 24353
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type: Common System
Contract Duration: 1 year with possibility of extension
The violence in the North Eastern Nigeria has caused over 27,000 deaths, the displacement of over 2 million people and 2,000 missing persons with spillover effects in the Lake Chad Basin (Chad, Cameroon and Niger). About 50% of the 7 million people in need (Nigeria alone) are located in inaccessible and remote areas and thus limiting the effectiveness of humanitarian and development assistance in affected sites. The ongoing crisis is extremely complex and has had devastating effects on infrastructure and every single endeavor of human life, while further aggravating the weak economic development of the North-East.
The goal of recovery efforts therefore needs to be the immediate rebuilding of community resilience webs / networks. UNDP is thus conceiving and implementing early recovery support integrally for IDP’s, hosting and home communities, focusing substantively on: 1 repair and restoration / “building back better” of all types of essential infrastructure while generating as much employment as possible 2 support to livelihoods and business 3 support to peace, reconciliation and good governance including return and reintegration of fighters.
The UNDP early recovery programme for the North East of Nigeria is managed by the Sub Office in Borno as an integrated area-based programme, combining all pre-existing and future project elements (projects) under one conceptual, programmatic and management umbrella. The complex crisis in North East Nigeria has led to the destruction of the social fabric and community resilience across the region.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the direct supervision of the Head of UNDP Recovery field office in NE Nigeria, and guidance from Communications Specialist at the Country Office in Abuja, the Communications Analyst implements the field-office communications strategy, as well as provides inputs to the design, management and implementation of the Country Office communications and publication strategies which are geared to influence the development agenda, promote public and media outreach and mobilize political and financial support for UNDP.
- The Communications Analyst guides and supports project-based communications staff (if any) and works in close collaboration with the field-office implementation teams, communications Officers of other UN Agencies, UNDP HQs staff (Communications Office) and Government officials, international and local media, subject matter experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society in Maiduguri ensuring the successful implementation of the field-office communications strategy.
- A communications strategy tightly linked to program priorities helps position the field-office in key development markets, notably early recovery and resilience, as a leader in ways that boost demand for various service lines and increase overall business opportunities.
Summary of Key Functions
- Planning and design of internal and external field-office strategies for communications and outreach.
- Implementation of the communications, publications and audio-visual knowledge products field-office strategy and work plans.
- Supervision and development of field-office website, social media accounts, intranet and web-based knowledge management systems.
- Support to business development and resource mobilization for UNDP’s early recovery programme.
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
Ensures planning and design of internal and external field-office strategies for communications and outreach focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Preparation and conduct of communications needs assessments for the field-office.
- Drafting/editing of field-office communications and outreach strategy in line with the CO communications strategy.
- Analysis of requirements and synthesis of proposals on ways to integrate advocacy and communications strategies into all aspects of UNDP’s programme development and implementation.
Ensures implementation of the communications, publications and audio-visual knowledge products field-office strategy and work plans focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Co-ordinate with field-office teams for timely effective implementation of mass media plans, collate and document feedback on impact-oriented success stories and follow-up with external agencies for corrective course of action, when necessary.
- Implementation of the communications, publications and audio-visual knowledge products field-office strategy.
- Identification of storylines for publications and drafting of substantive articles contributing to debates on key early recovery and resilience issues.
- In consultation with relevant field-office units, co-ordinate with communications solutions agencies (creative agencies, film-makers and radio content production agencies, PR agencies, media agencies, design studios for creative outputs), for scheduling of tasks, execution as per timelines and plans. Review and processing of product development up to completion stage.
Supervision and development of field-office webpage, social media accounts, intranet and web-based knowledge management systems focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Supervision of the design and maintenance of the office web sites based on CO and corporate requirements in cooperation with CO communications and ICT staff.
- Preparation of the content for websites, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts to ensure consistency of the materials.
Support to business development and resource mobilization for UNDP’s early recovery programme focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Packaging and submission of programme initiatives, proposals and reports for donor review in collaboration with field-office staff and supervisor.
- Maintenance of increased coverage and understanding of the UNDP’s early recovery work in the country through regular media contacts and provision of newsworthy information to national public and, where possible, donors.
- Organization of roundtable discussions, press conferences, briefing sessions, interviews, launches, etc.
- Ensures access for journalists to subject matter experts as well as organizing media field missions to ensure appropriate visibility for UNDP early recovery and resilience work in Nigeria.
- Drafting/production of regular newsletter to donors.
- Preparation of donor reports, civic education and community awareness where appropriate to support projects
- Effective responses to inquiries for public information materials.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and sharing focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned linked to early recovery and resilience.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice including corporate communications repositories.
- Provide writing, editorial and design support for communication and public information needs of the field-office and outreach-oriented reports and documents.
Impact of Results:
- The key results have an impact on creation of effective communications and dissemination of information on UNDP as UN’s global development network.
- In particular, the key results have an impact on implementation of UNDP communications and publication strategies with a view to delivering sustained visibility among domestic audiences of UNDP early recovery programmes and projects in NE Nigeria, as well as reaching resource mobilization targets.
Advocacy/Advancing a Policy-Oriented Agenda:
Level 1.2: preparing information for advocacy:
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate
- Maintains a functioning network of contacts with a variety of stakeholders to promote a better understanding of UNDP’s mandate and to support advocacy efforts
Building Strategic Partnerships:
Level 1.2: Maintaining a network of contacts:
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
- Establishes and nurtures positive communication with partners
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
Level 1.2: Basic research and analysis:
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise:
Level 1.2: Fundamental knowledge of own discipline:
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Analyzes the requirements and synthesizes proposals
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Creating Visibility for UNDP/Supporting UNDP’s Capacity to Advocate:
Level 1.2: Research and data analysis:
- Promotes awareness of UNDP’s centrally to development through dissemination of information and materials
- Maintains networks and knowledge assets for use in visibility and image activities
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals:
Level 1.2.: Preparing information for global advocacy:
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences
- Maintains a functioning network of contacts in the media and civil society, to promote a better understanding of UNDP’s mandate and to support advocacy efforts
Conceptual Innovation in the Provision of Technical Expertise:
Level 1.2: Research and analysis:
- Keeps updated in his/her area of substantive expertise
- Identifies opportunities for conceptual innovation
Level 1.2: Establishing effective client relationships:
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in Media Relations, Journalism, Publishing
- 3 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in public relations, communications or advocacy. Experience in digital marketing and managing social media platforms. Experience in creating multimedia content and working with web-based management systems
- Proficiency in both oral and written English, knowledge of local language is required.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 8th July, 2019.