Last Updated on
This question, does unn do jupeb keeps popping up everyday and I want to make it clear for everybody looking for an answer to this question.
What is Jubeb?
Joint Universities Preliminary Examinations Board (JUPEB) is a national examinations body approved by the Federal Government of Nigeria in December 2013. It was formally established in April 2014 by a consortium of ten (10) partnering universities led by the University of Lagos.
Does Unn Do Jubeb?
Yes, University Of Nigeria Nsukka (Unn) with 10 other Nigeria University does Jubeb, and after doing Jubeb and you successfully pass it’s examination, you will be admitted directly into 200L in any university that accepts Jubeb.
Recommended: UNN Supplementary Jubeb Admission List 2018/2019
ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW About UNN JUPEB PROGRAMME
Many of you are stil confused about this programme called JUPEB. Well, I will try and make it clearer here. First of all, JUPEB programme is not for direct entry candidates, its for those who are yet to take Jamb or those who have already taken Jamb, its after you have done JUPEB programme that you become a direct entry candidate i.e someone who can enter UNN through direct entry with the certificate or result obtained from JUPEB programme. You can also write Jamb as you are doing this programme thereby giving you double chance or opportunity in seeking or getting admiission as a utme candidate and as a direct entry candidate
JUPEB programme is like a diploma, the difference is that diploma is a 2 year programme while JUPEB is a year programme. The way JUPEB gives grades at the end of the programme is different from the way diploma does.
JUPEB is also same thing with IJMB, the only difference is that some schools like UNN dont accept IJMB but accept JUPEB.
JUPEB is a new Advanced Level examination body recently established and coordinated by the University of Lagos. It is similar to the Interim Joint matriculation Board (IJMB) coordinated by Ahmadu Bello University and recognized by many universities in Northern Nigeria. JUPEB is, as at now, recognized or accepted by Federal universities in Southern Nigeria such as University of Lagos (Unilag), University of Ibadan (U.I.), Obafemi Awolowo University, Ife (OAU), Federal University of Technology, Akure (FUTA), University of Ilorin, University Of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN), Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta (FUNAAB), University of Port Harcourt, University of Calabar. Other universities plan to join soon.
As such, these affiliated institutions have set up programmes to train candidates on the syllabus of the Board in subjects relevant to course intended to study. For example, Physics/Chemistry/Biology for medical courses, Physics/Chemistry/Mathematics for engineering courses, etc.
The charges for the programme vary from institution to institution. The actual charges for the programme can be obtained at the website of the institution or through an inquiry at the institution. You can call 08023960959 for UNN.
The registration form for JUPEB is obtained towards the end of the training programme by the affiliated institutions for their candidates at a reasonable fee. A mock exam that forms 30% of the total score in each subject is conducted by the institution and forwarded to the board. The Board’s exams take the remaining 70%.
The results issued by the JUPEB are graded like Cambridge A/Level results: A (5 points), B (4 points), C (3 points), D (2 points), E (1 point), F (0 point). Three subjects are offered by each candidate. Combination of the grades forms the total point that is used as cut-off for the course applied for in a particular institution. For example, University of Nigeria, Nsukka can say 13 points is the cut-off for someone to use JUPEB and apply for Medicine and Surgery via direct entry. That means, they can only admit candidates with either AAA (15 pts), AAB (14 pts), AAC (13 pts) or ABB (13 pts) via direct entry. At the end of the programme, you will be given a certificate that bears your qualification according to your points.
Like Cambridge A/Level, the results of JUPEB do not expire. You can always use it to apply into same or another institution that accepts JUPEB the following year. Candidates with JUPEB results or certificate can apply to JAMB for Direct Entry admission into 200 Level instead of the 100 Level for UTME into any of the institutions that accept JUPEB. That you do your JUPEB programme in UNN doesnt mean its only UNN that you can use it to enter via direct entry, you can use it to apply for direct entry in any or even all the institutions that accept JUPEB.
- Each candidate must register, sit for Examinations and satisfy the Board in three subjects and a General Studies course relevant to the proposed course in any of the universities.
- Each subject is to be broken into four courses to be taken, two per semester by the candidater. The results in all the courses are to be merged at the end of the second semester to obtain the candidate’s grade in that particular subject.
- Each candidate is expected to take twelve (12) courses, six per semester, and a General Studies course.
- The general Studies for courses in each University Faculty will be based on relevant General courses suggested for that Faculty by each university.
- The students upon completion of the programme will be issued certificates based on their level of performance which bear Letter Grades of A, B, C, D, E or F in each of the three subjects and general studies which you can use to apply for direct entry into any school that accepts JUPEB including UNN.
- Its one year programme (2 semesters).
- Those doing the programme have their own different lecture timetable and venue from other students.
- You can stay in the hostel or stay offcamp if you wish while doing the programme.
- There is an oral interview for those who will apply for this programme.
Apart from the N15,000 for the form, the school fees are:
- SCIENCES: N110,000
- ARTS & MANAGEMENT SCIENCES: N100,000.
I believe you won’t ask does unn do jupeb again.